Your Friends at Urbana Fire Rescue Services Would like to remind everyone to be extra cautious especially where children are involved. Each year more than 600 children ages 14 and younger die due to burn related injuries another 100,000 are treated.
Urbana Fire Rescue Services would like to offer the following tips to help us avoid having children injured in our area.
- Never leave a child alone in the bathroom or kitchen.
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees or below.
- Consider installing water facets and showerheads with anti scald technology.
- Keep hot foods and liquids away from table and counter edges.
- Never carry or hold children and hot foods or liquid at the same time.
- Use the back burners and keep handles turned inward.
- Keep electrical cords out of children’s reach especially if they are connected to appliances containing hot foods or liquids.
- Cover unused electrical outlets with safety covers.
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Lastly, have a working smoke detector in your home.
The Urbana Fire Rescue Services hopes that by working together we can protect the children in our area from ever having to experience the physical and psychological trauma that burns produce.