Urbana was founded in 1833 and is the county seat of Champaign County. The City is governed by the Mayor and City Council with the assistance of various departments, agencies and commissions.
You’ve also come to the right place if you are looking for the Mayor, to contact a City Council member, attend a City Council meeting or need to contact a city department.
City administrative offices observe the following holidays:
- New Year's
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday
- Spring Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day and Day Following
- Christmas Day
Holiday administrative office closings are posted on our Events Calendar.
The City Clerk serves as lead FOIA officer for the City of Urbana and the City Clerk’s office is the starting point for FOIA questions and requests.
You may submit a FOIA request in the City Clerk’s Office or via web at: www.urbanaillinois.us/forms/freedom-information-act-request-form
The City maintains an extensive list of records available via web access. This includes records associated with:
- City Council, Boards and Commissions
- City Code, Zoning Ordinance, and Building Codes as well as Ordinances and Resolutions
- Events and Meeting Calendars
- Open Data Portal, including Financials and Community Development data sets