Domestic Partnership Registration
Domestic Partnership Eligibility and Restrictions
You and your partner:
- are engaged in a committed relationship and intend to remain together indefinitely.
- are at least 18 years of age and have the capacity to enter into a contract.
- share a common permanent residence and are jointly responsible to each other for the necessities of life. You must bring proof of a common address such as a lease, joint bank statement, a current bill with both names, etc.
- are not related by blood closer than permitted for married couples under Illinois marriage laws.
- must understand that the registration of this Domestic Partnership Affidavit creates a domestic partnership of continuous duration until either of you files an Affidavit of Termination or upon the death of you or your partner.
- agree to file jointly or separately an Affidavit of Termination with the Urbana City Clerk within 30 days of a change in this domestic partnership such that you and your partner no longer meet the criteria herein.
Neither you nor your partner:
- has another domestic partner.
- is legally married.
- may lawfully be claimed as a dependant on any other person’s federal income tax return.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
You must provide ONE of the following forms of identification:
- State Drivers License
- State Identification w/picture
- U. S. Passport
- Birth Certificate (Must be 18 or older)
You must provide TWO of the following forms of identification:
- Voter registration card (issued within the past 90 days)
- Bank statement (issued within the past 60 days)
- Work identification card w/photo
- School identification w/photo
- Foreign passport
Registration of Domestic Partnership Affidavit: $35.00
Affidavit of Termination of Registered Domestic Partnership: $20.00
Registration and termination forms are available below.
|Domestic Partnership - Frequently Asked Questions||87.23 KB|
|Domestic Partnership Application||53.17 KB|
|Domestic Partnership Affidavit of Termination||55.71 KB|