Municipal Electric Aggregation
Municipal Electric Aggregation is the bulk purchasing of electricity organized by the City. The City and the selected supplier automatically opt-in all eligible accounts at the beginning of each contract period. Residents receive a letter with directions to opt-out of the program if they so choose.
Urbana's Municipal Electric Aggregation pricing:
December 2020 through December 2022: $0.04493 / kilowatt hour (kWh)
- Accounts will be placed on Ameren Basic Generation Service for two months between these two aggregation contracts at a rate of $0.12236 /kWh.
- February 2023 through December 2024: $0.12210 / kilowatt hour (kWh) (27% green power purchased in addition to 19% required by State) (supplier is Energy Harbor)
For more information, visit energyharbor.com/optout, or call 877-793-8921
- Small businesses using less than 15,000 kwh per year
Residents can compare the Municipal Electric Aggregation price to Ameren's current default electric supply price at any time at https://www.pluginillinois.org/
Compatibility with Ameren Programs:
- Urbana's Municipal Electric Aggregation is NOT compatible with Ameren's Power Smart Pricing. Power Smart Pricing and Municipal Electric Aggregation is an either/or option.
- Urbana's Municipal Electric Aggregation is NOT compatible with a Community Solar subscription.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does Municipal Electric Aggregation guarantee the lowest electricity price?
A. No. The City competitively bids an electricity price and then locks that price in for two or three years. Other retail electric suppliers can change their prices daily as the market fluctuates. Ameren Illinois typically changes their pricing yearly.
Q. Will participants still receive an Ameren Illinois bill? Will participants receive two bills?
A. Participants in Municipal Electric Aggregation will continue to receive an Ameren Illinois bill which will show a line item with the name and price of the electric aggregation service.
Q. Do residents have to participate in Municipal Electric Aggregation? How easy is it to go in and out of the program?
A. No. The program automatically opts-in all residences and qualifying businesses with a letter decribing the option to leave the program. Residents can join the program at any time, however residents who leave the aggregation program and join Ameren Illinois electric service for 60 days or more will have to remain on Ameren Illinois electric service for 12 months. Furthermore, residents ability to change electric supply may be limited by contract provisions of any retail electric supplier they may choose.