Vehicle Impound Payment and Information

The City has a strong interest in deterring drivers from committing serious traffic and drug offenses, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, fleeing or eluding a police officer, driving on a revoked driver's license, operating a vehicle when the registration is cancelled, suspended or revoked and driving while possessing felony amounts of cannabis, controlled substances or methamphetamine.

The implementation of an administrative fee for towing of vehicles used in the commission of certain offenses will deter drivers from committing these offenses. The fee imposed will help reasonably compensate the City for the damages done by persons who commit these offenses.

Vehicle used in commission of offense - $260

Ord. No. 2010-07-052

Acceptable forms of payment:  cash, money order, certified check or credit card. No personal checks will be accepted.

To make payments in person or by mail:

City of Urbana Finance Department
400 South Vine Street, Urbana, IL 61801
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
(217) 384-2346

Non-business hours:

City of Urbana Police Department
400 South Vine Street, Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 384-2320

To pay a $260 Vehicle Impound Fee online: 

ATTENTION:  Once the Vehicle Impound Fee is paid, please go to the Urbana Police Department located at 400 South Vine Street, Urbana, IL to obtain a release form.  This form is a requirement for the release of a vehicle by a towing company.

Click Here to Pay Vehicle Seizure and Impoundment Fee - You will be redirected to the City's online payment website. Click on "Pay Tickets" and enter in the ticket/case number listed on the Vehicle Seizure and Impoundment Report, as well as the license plate number (DO NOT INCLUDE THE STATE).  


To contest the vehicle impoundment: 

The owner(s) of record may contest the vehicle impoundment by filling out a written request for an administrative hearing through the Finance Department no later than ten (10) business days after vehicle seizure. In addition, the owner(s) of record may request the hearing before or after impound and storage charges have been paid.


To request a hearing, please stop by the Finance Department during business hours, or download and complete the hearing request form and mail it into the Finance Department.

- Last Modified -August 1, 2023 - 3:54pm
- Author - BethB