How to Settle a Bicycle Violation
If you have received a city ordinance violation for a bicycle infraction, you have three options:
- Pay the $100 fine by mail or at the Finance Department at the City of Urbana. You have 14 days to do this from the date the Notice to Appear was issued.
- Appear in court on the date on the NTA, where you can either contest the violation or plead guilty.
- If this is your first bicycle violation in Urbana-Champaign, you may be eligible to participate in the Urbana Bicycle Diversion Program. This program is designed to teach bicycle safety and gain compliance to laws regulating movement of bicycles. The program reduces your fine to $30. If you successfully complete the program, your violation will be dismissed.
These are not Illinois Vehicle Code violations and will not go against your driving record. These are City of Urbana ordinance violations.
Urbana Bicycle Diversion Program
If you have received your first city ordinance violation for a bicycle infraction, you may be eligible to participate in the Urbana Bicycle Diversion Program.
- You must not have previously completed the bicycle diversion program through the City of Urbana or the City of Champaign.
- Go to the City of Urbana Finance Department at the Urbana City Building, 400 S Vine Street, pay a $30 fine, and register for an online bicycle safety course. If you choose this option, you must sign a plea agreement. Your $100 fine will be reduced to $30.
- Take the online bicycle safety course at http://www.bikesafetyquiz.com to the Gold level (33 questions in total).
- Upon successful completion of the bicycle safety quiz, print and mail your certificate to the Urbana Legal Department at 400 S Vine St, Urbana, IL 61801 Attn: Bicycle Diversion Program or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. When the Legal Department receives your certificate, they will dismiss your violation.
- If your certificate is not received within 21 days of signing the plea agreement, City Legal will proceed with prosecution and a warrant could be issued for your arrest.
For more information, please contact the Urbana Legal Department at email@example.com or (217) 384-6276.