Crime Victim Checklist

Report a Crime

Effective January 1, 2019, the Urbana Police Department changed how it takes some crime reports on lower dollar value incidents. Crime reports on these incidents will now be accepted via a web based report form.
This change is intended to make the reporting of incidents more convenient for the reporting person and make more efficient use of our on-duty officers. If you have questions about the web forms, please contact Police Support Services at 217-384-2320.

Crime Victims/U Visa

The Urbana Police Department supports victims of crimes, including those victims who are undocumented. As such, it is the policy of the department to work with those who are seeking a U visa and desire a law enforcement certification as part of the U visa application process.  Specifically, victims or their representatives may reach out to Urbana police administration to arrange for completion of the Form I-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification.

To initiate communication with administration of the Urbana Police Department, please:

  • email, or
  • call 217-384-2320, or
  • write to the Urbana Police Department, 400 S. Vine St., Urbana, Illinois, 61801.

For further information on the U visa process, please go to the website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Cell phones

Call cellular company (telephone number from your bill) under “reporting lost/stolen” to report theft/missing phone.

  • Nextel 1-800-639-8359
  • Cingular 1-866-246-4582
  • Verizon 1-800-922-0204
  • Internet site.

Inquire w/ cellular company to see what calls were made since phone was missing. If the phone company states calls were made, request a copy the list, forward the list to UPD, identifying unknown calls.

  • Report missing phone online
  • Cellular phone companies normally need a Report Number. You will get this from the Police Department when you file a report. Often times, they will fax the Police Department the calls made from the time of theft.
  • If you have the box the phone came in, report serial #, make, model of phone.


Report your serial number, make/model/color; be prepared to give a dollar value of the bicycle (include any unique identifiers).

  • Report stolen bicycles online
  • If you registered your bike with the City of Urbana or U of I Public Safety Office, they may have your serial number.


  • Report personal theft under $500 online.
  • Contact Bank re: checking account, ATM card, debit card.
  • Contact the Illinois Secretary of State for a new drivers license: 2401W. Bradley, Champaign (278-3344)
  • Contact Social Security Office for SS replacement (101 S. Country Fair Dr., 398-5399 or 800 772 1213).
  • Contact business/location where item was last seen.
  • Contact major credit card companies (check your bill for contact info).
  • Contact other credit card companies (gas, retail stores, etc.)
  • LINK Card – Department of Public Aid (1-800-843-6154)
  • FOID Card – Illinois State Police (217-782-7980) FOID applications are available at the Urbana Police Department.
  • Passport – Immigration & Naturalization, 219 S. Dearborn St., Suite 905, Chicago, IL 60604, tel/312 353-0320.
  • Gift Cards/Membership Cards– Contact business.
  • Keys – You might need to call a locksmith and change your locks.
  • Garage Door Opener – Reprogram the opener.
  • Medication & Glasses - Contact physician.
  • Bus Pass – Contact MTD
  • Hunting & Fishing License

Should your property be recovered, we will contact you. Should you find your property or realize other items were taken, please contact our front desk (217 384-2320) and we can add the property to our report or indicate it has been found.

- Last Modified -July 23, 2021 - 11:40am
- Author - Visitor