Office of the Mayor
Duties are defined by state law for Urbana's mayor-aldermanic form of government.
- The mayor is the chief executive of the city.
- The mayor appoints numerous officials and staff including the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Director of Public Works, and Director of Community Development as well as members of city boards and commissions, all with the approval of the city council. Residents interested in serving on a board or commission should use this application form.
- Represents the City on intergovernmental boards (e.g., METCAD, Regional Planning Commission, Champaign-Urbana Area Transportation Study)
- Chairs City Council Meetings
- Serves as Local Liquor Control Commissioner
- Works with City Council to plan and implement city goals, plans, standards and policies
- Manages resources for achievement of City goals and objectives
- Oversees hiring, the regular review of compensation, benefits and working conditions, and the discipline of all City personnel
- Represents the City in various intergovernmental activities, in matters with the news media and at public relations meetings and events
- Works with Finance Director to develop the annual budget proposal and administer the approved budget
To contact the Mayor, please contact Kate Brickman, Executive Assistant to the Mayor at 384-2456 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Urbana City Building
400 South Vine Street61801 Urbana , IL
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Champaign-Urbana Public Health District and Champaign County Emergency Management Agency Urge the Public to Take Extra Precautions to Stay Safe in the Heat The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) and the Champaign County Emergency Management Agency (CCEMA) urge everyone to watch for the symptoms of heat-related illness, and to take precautions to keep their families and communities safe.
Post date: Friday, July 21, 2017 - 13:28
Phone Service Restored at Urbana City Building; Other Outages Remain As AT&T Works To Restore Service
Telephone service to the Urbana City Building was fully restored about 9:45 a.m. today (July 18), as AT&T crews worked around the clock to splice together thousands of copper lines that were accidentally severed Friday afternoon by a city contractor.
Post date: Friday, July 14, 2017 - 15:47
CLOSED The City of Urbana (“the City”) respectfully requests proposals for City Administrator recruitment services from qualified executive search firms. The executive search for this position will be a joint effort between the City of Urbana and the selected Vendor. All candidate applications and resumes received by the City’s Human Resources Division will be forwarded to the selected Vendor. The purpose of collecting registration information is so that we can properly notify all recipients of addenda and answers to submitted questions.
Post date: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 14:17
The failure of the Illinois General Assembly to pass a budget by today (June 30) has led to the suspension of two major road construction projects in Urbana. Work will likely remain halted until a budget or stopgap budget is approved. The state-bid projects that have been halted by the Illinois Department of Transportation include:
Post date: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 15:21
Thursday (June 29) was a big day for Ed Mehnert, the owner of the Red Bicycle Ice Cream shop. About 3 p.m., he secured his health permit to operate his new ice cream parlor, which will be located at 2740 Philo Road, Suite D, in The Pines retail center in southeast Urbana.
Post date: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:29