The Champaign-Urbana community has entered a competition to continue building one of the fastest broadband Internet networks in the country. Anchored by on-going construction of the UC2B network, local leaders are preparing a bid proposal for Champaign-Urbana to be one of six communities nationwide to split $200 million in funding from Gigabit Squared, an economic development firm that specializes in building broadband networks through its collaboration with with Gig.
To maintain and improve the quality of life for Urbana citizens by providing programs of economic development, housing, planning, zoning enforcement, and building safety code enforcement.
Major Activities of the Community Development Department:
- Plan and implement department goals, plans, standards and policies
- Manage resources for efficient achievement of City and department goals and objectives
- Develop department staff through training and evaluation procedures
- Manage personnel through work directives and rules
- Represent the department and City in various intergovernmental activities, in matters with the news-media and at public relations meetings and events
- Participate in the planning and preparation of the City's capital improvements long-term plan and budget