Urbana adds Dockless Bikeshare to its Community
There have been docked bikeshare systems in place for a while now in certain metropolitan areas. People pick-up bikes from a dock at a bikeshare station and return them to another dock at the end of their trip. It sounds simple, but there are a few complications that can arise, like empty or full stations that need rebalanced at peak travel times so a good mix of bikes are available at all of the “stations.” That created frustrated cyclists who couldn’t get where they need to be.
The dockless bikeshare program in Urbana called VeoRide completely alleviates all of that, and has been successful all across the United States.
Here’s how simple it is to ride a dockless bike:
- First, download the VeoRide app on a smartphone.
- Next, find a bike, which is easy. Either spot a bike and start the process or locate one of these GPS-equipped bikes with the app.
- Next, unlock the bike’s self-contained wheel lock by scanning a QR code with the smartphone. The ride will cost 50 cents for every 15 minutes.
- Once at the destination, park the bike in any bike rack, push down the button on the lock to end the trip and secure the bike.
- Then, the app shows how far the bike traveled on this particular trip, how much it cost to ride, and other information, like how many calories were burned by the rider on the journey.
Now, what if there are no bike racks available to park the bike, or they are all full? Well, check the app for designated parking areas. Riders may also park on sidewalks, leaving enough space so people can still get by. Also, do not block doors or handicap ramps. Plus, riders may park anywhere a car can park for free.
Places to absolutely avoid parking are: in the way of or near traffic, in a crosswalk, sidewalk, near a fire hydrant, outdoor furniture other than secure sidewalk benches, driveways and private property. These three-speed bikes are a convenient way to travel.
Need a bike to be moved?
Call 1-855-VEO-2256 and someone will come and move the bike.
Questions? Click here: Bikeshare Program FAQs
Bicycle Master Plan Update
The City of Urbana approved an updated Bicycle Master Plan in December 2016. The final plan can be viewed and downloaded here.